Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Mother's Day Diversion - Cards

There’s so much to write about today, I’ve been up to all sorts of things. But first a quick diversion. In preparation for Mother’s Day I decided to experiment with patchwork cards for my collection of mothers. I found some instructions that were a useful starting point at http://craftapple.wordpress.com/2006/08/23/quilted-cards-tutorial/. I made three and they took from about 15minutes to an hour to make depending on how complex I made the design. I varied my approach to craftapples' in that I did use fusible interfacing as the backing for the fabric instead of paper – I like the soft look this has, and it’s easier to work with on my sewing machine. This was a great project and easy to do – I felt very satisfied having played around in the sewing room for a couple of hours, finished more than one thing, and made something that someone else will enjoy. Here’s what the result looked like.


The card size is about 4”x6”, which is within the standard card size limit and so it only cost me 55 cents to post each one as well. I was curious to find out from my mothers how these survived the interstate trip with the postman, and I’ve advised that they are in excellent condition. So, I think we can call this a success, and I’ve found another use for the little scrappy bits of fabric that are too small for most things, but too precious to be thrown away.

Happy crafting for another week.
Bert

1 comment:

  1. Oh those are so cute! The house is my favorite. What a nice way to use some scraps to make a little something special! :)

    ReplyDelete